Mayflower Lace Stitch Diagram (pattern update)

 
chart, crochet, diagram, flower, free pattern, graph, Hailstone stitch, lace stitch, Love Knot, Mayflower Lace Scarf, Mayflower Lace stitch, modified long single crochet, Solomon's Knot

  I thought it would be fun to re-work an old design of mine, the Mayflower Lace scarf, in a different yarn and hook size than originally used. I came across a tutorial I had forgotten about making when I pulled up the pattern... I immediately felt like deleting the post because it's so horrible, but I think I'll leave it up just in case you want to check out the old way I made stitch charts. ðŸ˜³ It seems embarrassingly unprofessional to me now, but it worked for those that needed help back then. It may even still be helpful to see the geometric pattern without all the symbols, but... Now that I've found Stitch Fiddle, it's time to make this graph the right way.

  I also realized that the tutorial linked in the pattern and graph posts no longer exist, so the whole thing is a mess! I was working on rewriting the pattern and recreating the tutorial with Caron Cotton Cakes, and I even tried to make the pattern a bit easier by working in between the stitches instead of directly into them. I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue with what I started because I wasn't quite happy with how the stitch looked with all the changes... Then Hurricane Irma hit us and my work got tossed in bags and bins.

Caron Cotton Cakes, chart, crochet, diagram, flower, free pattern, graph, Hailstone stitch, lace stitch, Love knot, Mayflower Lace Scarf, Mayflower Lace stitch, modified long single crochet, Solomon's knot


  Until I find it again and make up my mind, I hope you can enjoy the better chart! This diagram may be a bit confusing at first glance because I created a new symbol to represent the modified stitch... If you need additional help, I did find my original tutorial still available in video form (it's just a slideshow of the picture tutorial). That is a step-by-step lesson for the whole project, so just skip ahead to about 3:00 to see how to work the modified stitch. You can also avoid using the modified stitch and work a regular long single crochet in its place, which will make the stitches a bit more lacy. Find the original written pattern for the whole scarf here.



Click to enlarge diagram:
chart, crochet, diagram, flower, free pattern, graph, lace stitch, Love knot, Mayflower Lace Scarf, Mayflower Lace stitch, Solomon's knot, Hailstone stitch, modified long single crochet



chart, crochet, diagram, flower, free pattern, graph, lace stitch, Love knot, Mayflower Lace Scarf, Mayflower Lace stitch, Solomon's knot, Hailstone stitch, modified long single crochet

  Skipping that modified stitch might make the pattern easier, but I just love the extra texture added by the post-like stitch. Made in worsted weight yarn, it all comes together to make something both lacy and bulky at the same time.

chart, crochet, diagram, flower, free pattern, graph, Hailstone stitch, Love Knot, Mayflower Lace Scarf, Mayflower Lace stitch, modified long single crochet, Solomon's Knot

  If I was to work the stitch in a lighter weight yarn, I think I would like to use the regular long single crochet to create an extra-delicate fabric. Are you interested in experimenting with this stitch in different yarns? I'd love it if you share a photo of your work on Crochet is the Way's Facebook page.

Happy Crocheting!

Comments